Yves Tourangeau Partner
Education and Bar Admission
Québec Bar, 1983
Baccalaureate of Civil Law, LL.B., University of Laval
Yves Tourangeau has over thirty (30) years of experience in Civil and Commercial Litigation, particularly in Insurance Law.
As a litigator, he represents his clients before all Quebec and Federal Tribunals. He also acts as a mediator and arbitrator since 2000.
In Insurance Law, Yves represents major Quebec and Canadian insurance companies. He is considered a leading litigator in Civil and Commercial Litigation as well as in Insurance Law by the Lexpert Directory and Best Lawyers in Canada.
Yves has developed particular expertise in the areas of Directors and Officers Liability, Professional Liability, Construction Law, Transport Law and in General Civil Liability.
He is an accredited mediator of the Autorité des marchés financiers.
Yves has played an active role throughout his career in the transmission of his knowledge to the legal community notably by speaking on various topics and teaching.
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association (Quebec Branch since 1983);
- President of the Litigation and Insurance Branch in Quebec (1998-2000);
- President of the Canadian Bar, Quebec Division (2003-2004);
- Member of the Conseil de la division Québec since 2001;
- Member of the Executive Committee, Quebec Division (2001-2006);
- Member of the National Executive Committee of the Litigation Section of the Canadian Bar (1999-2004);
- Member of the Comité de liaison du Barreau canadien avec la Cour suprême du Canada since 2005;
- President of the Committee (2009-2011);
- Vice President of the Committee (2007-2009);
- Member of the board Lawyers Financial (CBIA) since 2007, vice -Chair of the Board 2013-2015 Chair of the Board 2015-2017, past Chair of the Board 2017-2019;
- Member of the Executive Committee since 2011;
- Member of the Board of Directors since 2007;
- Member of the Comité d’accréditation des médiateurs du Barreau du Québec;
- Governor for the Quebec Bar Foundation since 2004;
- Member of the Defense Research Institute of Chicago;
- Member of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society;
- Member of the working group of the Quebec Bar on the Apology Act from 2011 to 2012;
- Member of the working group on the modifications of the contract of enterprises or for services in the Civil Code (2125 CCQ & ss.);
- Member of the Committee on obligations and Civil Liability of the Quebec Bar since 2006;
- Member of the Advisory Committee on modifications to the Civil Code for victims of criminal acts / Draft Bill 70 (2012);
- Member of the Advise Committee of the Quebec Bar on the mandatory continuing education in insurance Law (2009)
- Member of the Committee on the modification of the Civil Code and certain professional law / Draft Bill 77 (2012);
« Le partage de la défense entre l’assureur et l’assuré », dans L’assurance de dommages, collection Yvon Blais, vol. 12, pp. 97 à 136;
« Les exclusions "produits", "travaux" et "biens défectueux" commentaires et application » dansDéveloppements récents en droit des assurances, Service de la formation continue, Barreau du Québec, 2010, vol. 322, pp. 1 à 71.
« La relation problématique tripartite entre l'assureur, l'assuré et l'avocat et les suites de l'arrêt Fellowes Mcneil », dans Canadian Journal of Insurance law, Butterworths, vol.20, no. 4, juillet 2002
« Le crime paie-t-il? », dans Underwritings, revue de la section nationale d'assurances du Barreau canadien, octobre 2001
« La réforme anticipée de la procédure civile », dans Sources et instruments de justice en droit privé, éditions Thémis, Montréal, 2002, pp.229-246
« L'obligation de défendre, publication annuelle de la section nationale de litige du Barreau canadien, juillet 2000
« Les rénovations d'un locataire donnent-elles ouverture à un privilège de construction », revue Expert, 1987
Lecturer in 1999 with the Canadian Bar Association on the effects of drinking on Car Insurance
Lecturer in October 2000 at the Symposium, Sources and Instruments of Justice in Private Law at the “Treizièmes entretiens Jacques-Cartier”
Lecturer in September 2000 with the Chambre des huissiers de justice du Québec on professional liability of Bailiffs of Justice “the bailiffs before the Court” course fp/19-002-01
Lecturer in November 2000 with the Institut d’assurance du Québec concerning the Fire liability exposure
Lecturer in August 2001 at the Annual Assembly of the Canadian Bar Association at Saskatoon on the tripartite relationship insurer-insured-lawyer
Lecturer in October 2001 at Montreal Association of Insurance Women on the impact with the relationship insurer-lawyer-insured on the duty to defend for an insurer
Lecturer on December 3, 2002 in Montreal and December 5, 2002 in Quebec with the Institut d’assurance du Québec on Transportation Law
Lecturer in April 2005 with the Montreal Association of Insurance Women on Host Liability in Canadian and Quebec Law
Lecturer in August 2006 with the Institut d’assurance du Québec in Transportation Law
Lecturer at the Bar School in Montreal on the expert witness – September 2007
Invited advocacy advisor at Quebec Bar Advocacy training program taking place annually at Sherbrooke, since 2008
Lecturer in May 2010: Les exclusions « produits », « travaux » et « biens défectueux » : commentaires et application. The text was published in Développements récents en droit des assurances, Service de la formation continue, Quebec Bar, volume 322, page 1.
Invited lecturer on the Comprehensive General Liability policy and its exclusions by Professor Daniel Gardner at Laval University on November 8, 2010 (Master degree course)
Lecturer in June 2011: Le droit du transport sous toutes ses facettes.
Lecturer on Les vices cachés et apparents, quelle est votre responsabilité? at the symposium 2011 of the Organisme d'autoréglementation du courtage immobilier du Québec (OACIQ) at St-Jean-sur-Richelieu on November 30 2011
Lecturer (Fall 2012 and Spring 2013) : Le partage de la défense entre l’assureur et l’assuré, at the symposium 2011 of Éditions Yvon Blais entitled L’assurance de dommages, September 24 in Montreal, November 12 in Quebec and May 3rd in Laval
Webinar lecturer: “Lawyers in practice. How to plead an Interim Motion: few tips to convince and win”, March 27, 2013